Thursday, April 17, 2014

Alas, things don’t always turn out the way we expect...

My view is over Kensington Olympia, and I am very comfortably installed in my godmother Giulietta’s lovely flat, so I am not complaining. Well, I am, but only about my own stupidity. I am the author of my own misfortune here: I arrived on Tuesday morning at 5 am at Algiers airport and duly presented my passport at the frontier police. “Where is your visa?” inquired the official. “What visa?” I replied. “I am Swedish, surely we don’t need visas here?” “Oh yes you do. And if you don’t have one you will be put straight back on the plane to Bamako again”, came the disconcerting response.  I now realized it was serious and I called Carin, the ambassador. She said she would do what she could, pulling whatever ambassadorial strings that she was able to pull. And she did- but it was too late. By the time the laissez-passer arrived from the central immigration authority I had already been bundled onto the flight to London, since I had an onward ticket with that destination- only not until the 22nd of April!

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

And you did get to meet the Georgians at Kensington Palace thanks to Jeremiah, right?

We look forward to returning to find a kettle unharmed. Got to St Pancras with bags of time, trains delayed owing to body on line, and so we got into Lyon at 22 00, can you believe. Now tout est calme.

9:25 AM  
Blogger toubab said...

so glad you made it! Writing from Blewbury! Waiting for photos to arrive to post the thing about Kensington Palace..
xxxS

9:18 PM  
Blogger Gilliane said...

Well Sophie, not to worry, atleast you're safe and sound in London. Have an excellent English Easter!
Lots of love G xxx

6:22 AM  
Blogger David said...

The only sign of Sophie's World was ground coffee in the top of the grinder...hope we see you at Giulietta's tonight?

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home